Friday, August 9, 2013

Adventures in the Wind Rivers

Episode 5

I slept in until 07:30 am, that's pretty late for me! After using the Master's trick I was able to get a fire going. The humidity was terrible, just terrible. I had to shave several layers of wood to get some dry burnable wood. Paper from my note book wouldn't even burn, it would just smolder! It's amazing how a simple fire can make all the difference in your mood, all of a sudden you go from cold and miserable to warm and cozy. Once everyone had our morning sustenance or small bag of gut terrorizer. I know Dawnette was under constant attack from the food; at this point she was avoiding any of the dehydrated breakfasts and began bartering for oatmeal with the boys. The boys were more than willing to share.

We began planning our next leg of our adventure by scouring the map for the most direct route, not to mention new and exciting fishing opportunities. We packed camp and skedaddled (I will have you know that I spelled that correctly the first time!).



Still going!



And going!


We did stop to smell the flowers!




This is were it got a little dicey! This is a major crossing of the Pole creek and we didn't want to get our feet wet, so we started looking for an alternate route.


We went a little higher.


And even a little more higher! For some reason I am humming a Creed song--weird!


I can't see my house from here!



How did you get above me?


Maybe we should have just crossed the river!

 

Just a little drop, nothing to see here!


Cool shot!


We made it to the south eastern shore and took a lunch break, while the food was steeping the boys wiped out the UNO cards.


I on the other hand was entertaining myself watching the wildlife, meet Theodor.


After lunch, we were back on the trail.


Pole Creek lake.


Pole Creek, outlet.



Entering the gorge between Pole creek lake and 1000 Island lake.




One of the crossings along the way.


Unfortunately, this is just before Russell slipped and fell into the creek. Luckily he was okay, just a little wet. This is what earned him the name wet boots.



We made it to 1000 Island lake and found this, what a beautiful 20 foot waterfall.



Inlet below the waterfall.



A few visitors.




Don't ask!


I can't remember, just an awesome picture.



Momma moose and calf, sharing our camp.



School is in.




Ah! A boy and his mother.


Don't worry mom I'll protect you!


What an awesome day!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment